Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Report from Dublin

Folks...

My dogs are realy barking. It is 8:17 pm now and I've been walking around since 11 am.

Dublin, of course, is a very lovely city so in the limited amount of time I have I've been trying to make the most of it. This is the official list of what I did today:

1. Took the shuttle bus to the city. Saw the book of Keels and the Long Room at Trinity College. (no pictures allowed)
2. Went to an internet cafe and posted the pictures in the prior post for your viewing pleasure.
3. Purchased post cards.
4. At at Pacinos. Filled out post cards. I had the siloin ciabatta. Not bad! Then went to post office to mail afformentioned post cards.
5. Made a call to the U.S. You know, I'm not even sure what airline we are flying in on.
6. Wandered over to Dublin Castle and then the Chester Beatty Library to enjoy their exhibition on comparative religion.
7. Went to "Dublinia and the Viking World. " This is a fun exhibit where I got to see how Vikings went to the bathroom. (see images below)
8. Went to Christ Church Cathedral where I explored the crypt. I had my first run-in with cadets there. Is there a sort of irony that I would run into them in a tomb?
9. Wandered over the Jameson Distillery and took the tour (which is essentially a huge advertisement for Jamesons). I think alcoholics should avoid this place. AND I ran into a bunch of cadets here... (predictable, right?) I also volunteered for the whiskey tasting where we compared Scotch, Jameson, and Jack Daniels. And yes, Jameson is better. I even got a certificate! The funny part of this was that when they asked for volunteers for the taste test, all the cadets present shot up their hands in unison before the question was even finished.
10. Continued on the alcoholics anonymous tour and headed to the Guinness Brewery... guess who was there? More cadets! They said it was cool, but by the time I got there the museum part was closed. I might try tomorrow.
11. I then wandered through St. Stephen's Green with the intention of going to Iveagh Gardens. But alas, they were closed, so....
12. I trotted over to a shopping center, bought a luggage tag. The only tag available was one with the Guinness label. I think there is an unsublimible message here.
13. Now, after all this, I somehow found myself in a pub where I ordered... Guinness! I don't know what made me do it, but folks, trust me, it tastes the same here as it does at home. I also got a smoked salmon sandwich.
14. With my feet crying for mercy I started to head back, but compulsively wanted to write up a post before I go to the ship and pass out.

Tomorrow's agenda:
1. Retrieve passport.
2. Meet with Richard, my successor.
3. Go back into Dublin, see the Archaeology Museum and maybe the Guinness factory.
4. Shop.
5. Go back, go to airport.
6. Home!

See you soon!
Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Joe


St. Stephen's Green (well not the green, but in the park)

The distillery at the Jameson Distillery

Christ Church Cathedral


A footbridge leading to the Cathedral



View of Dublin





View of Dublin

View of Dublin

View of Dublin




At the museum, Dublinia, they show you how Vikings use the loo!



Dublin Castle












6 comments:

  1. I must say the pic of the guy in the loo, beats it all. Very funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already miss your funny and insightful writings and of course all the great comments and awesome poems from parents and friends.(How fun was that!) Even though I don't have a son aboard anymore, I think I will keep tabs on the ship and it's followers. Welcome back Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... how sad it will be to log on tomorrow night without a new update. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOE,
    I JUST CAUGHT UP FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS.HAVE BEEN AWAY ON BUSINESS. I LOVE THE LAST DAYS OF MY SON'S AND YOUR TRIP. I FEEL LIKE I TRAVELED WITH YOU. I LAUGHED ALOT AND WILL TRUELY MISS YOUR BLOG. IT IS OH SO NICE TO GO TRAVLING, BUT SO MUCH NICER TO COME HOME.
    HAVE A SAFE JOURNEY HOME.
    THANK YOU AGAIN.
    LINDA PATTI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your posts. My family from the state of Washington to New Jersey have enjoyed your writings. You gave us an insight into what my son was experiencing on cruise. It meant a lot to us as we have only had one phone call from Malaga and 3 emails. Next year I won't tell him no news is good news. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you certainly made the most of your time on land during the past 45 days. I wish my son had tagged along with you, I think you saw more than anyone. Maybe if we're lucky enough to have you on board next years, you could run tours. Have a safe flight back. See you at Terminal 4 tonight!

    ReplyDelete