Thursday, June 17, 2010

Guardians of the Coast

Weather is calm and clear. Beautiful day in fact.

Happy Finals Eve! The students are diligently working with their sight
tables as they furiously cram for the beginning of finals which starts
tomorrow. These tests will carry through Sunday, and Monday shall be an
off day for them. They get an extra hour of studying tonight since we
‘retard’ (I still hate that term), the clocks back one hour.

Tomorrow at about 5pm (oh sorry 1700), we pass through the Straits of
Gibraltar – for me it will be a farewell to the Mediterranean, although
many aboard will be seeing these waters again.

Aside from the normal bustle aboard today, I saw a most curious sight as a
swift ship with a gun neared us. Could it be Barbary Pirates? Somebody
reminded me that if you happen to see them fire, remember to duck! Other
cadets were of course facetiously talking about what we should do if they
attempt to board us. Alas, it was only the Spanish Coast Guard. They
were checking us out. I can assure you that I personally am not up to any
malicious or foul deeds as these defenders of the Spanish shores crossed
our wake. The ship itself, was some sort of cutter that had guns mounted
on it.
In any event, they were checking out a tanker that was anchored near us.
When they were done, they passed by and gave us a wave. Everybody waved
back. So much for the guardians of the Costa de Espana. But I know they
were secretly trembling in fear at the glory of our… noisy needle guns.

Since everybody seems to enjoy learning about various marine pedagogical
methods, I learned a new one today that demonstrates the power of
leverage, winches, and angle. Captain Kien, one of our instructors had
the students engage in an odd tug-o-war with him. They fastened a rope
onto a beam, and then the Kien had several cadets hold the rope taut with
instructions not to let him move the rope. This they did, and then Kien
simply went over and with two fingers pulled the rope to the sideways so
that they were pulled by a much lesser force. I think we can bestow the
Archimedes award for this lesson, although I still think plugging leaks
with your body and finding mannequins in the dark to be more fun.

As for goings on in the library, I have now become the Library Cop and
have been hunting down those malefactors who think they can hold onto
their books indefinitely. We all know that those people who borrow books,
and do not return them are actually hindering the education and enjoyment
of others. It is every person’s civic duty to pay their taxes, serve on
juries, and return their library books. So a word out there for anybody
who likes to flout democracy… we are watching you.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Joe

6 comments:

  1. Good blog :-D You are keeping us entertained and educated, a lovely way to learn. Again thanks for writing n keeping us up to date on teh TSES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pirates???? Ha~!!! They wouldn't last 5 minutes on our ship with my son on board (BRAGGING~!!!) :)
    Oh Joe... what will us parents do when you exit the TSES???? My son Pete, won't be doing the 2nd cruise but I still want to keep on top of whats going on and check out the other ports~!!??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the TSES approaches the Pillars of Hercules, its 9AM NY time, I wanted to let you know how much my wife and I enjoyed you blog and the pictures you posted. I hope you get to see a little of Dublin before your flight home. The next librarian has a tough act to follow

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your writings. What was done when they noticed the ship with guns. What were the the official ways to handle the situation . Matthew would never tell me. Being "officer" maybe you can answer out questions. How are the cadets getting to the airport and will they feed you more than peanuts and pretzel !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. > Thanks all!  It's been a pleasure to share with you all these extremely
    > unique and amusing experiences. As much as I'm sorry that I won't be
    > continuing this blog in a few days, I am very happy to be almost homeward
    > bound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Susan. From what I understand, the Captain sets the amount of
    space between us and other ships depending on where we are. In this
    particular situation, the coast guard cutter would have identified
    themselves by radio to us, and ask for permission to approach.

    Re: airport -- A bus is picking us up at 5:30pm by the ship. The flight
    leaves at 9:45 and gets in at 12:15 AM EST at JFK, terminal 4, Flight
    #WO3001. I have a feeling this is a barebones flight so I'm not expecting
    peanuts or pretzels! :)

    ReplyDelete