Saturday, June 5, 2010

Andros Eve

Somewhere in the Aegean… Calm blue seas, clear skies, warm.

This morning got off with a bang as my alarm clock took a personal form as
one of the engineers woke me up and informed me that they have found the
leak (yay) and that they were going to have to remove the plates over my
ceiling and perform some welding on a pesky “kick pipe.” Perhaps this
shall auger in a morning of greater calm and quiet. Needless to say, my
room was filled with a cacophony of all sorts of complex tools and mayhem
as mattresses were removed and sheets of plastic thrown down.

Somebody today told me as for the noise… you simply have to get used to
it. I think they do not understand that as a librarian, I am especially
wired to be ultra-sensitive to noise in any form. It is very hard though
to “shhh” a welder.

Today is Andros-Eve which means I get to touch my feet upon the ground for
the first time in two weeks. Fortunately, the lovely Michelle sent me
lots of information on Andros (no nudism allowed) – but no map. I’m not
even sure where we are going to be on this island, but apparently there
are nice beaches and much walking to be done (which I intend to do).

Since we are coming into a port phase, tonight is “Field Day.” This does
not mean that the cadets play competitive games such as tug-o-war and
kickball, but rather it means they are doing a scouring of the ship. They
start at approximately 1900 (7pm) and will finished about 2130.
Afterwards, I played them the movie “Troy.” This was against my better
wishes since the movie was terrifically long, but I wanted to keep the
Greek inspired movies going.

This one I have to keep brief because of the cleanup tonight they sealed
off the lounge and the officers messdeck. Since the hardline email went
down tonight, I am typing this out in the hall in front of my cabin where
I get signal! I feel so homeless...

Fair winds and Following Seas,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment