Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Next Stop Dublin

This is going to be a quick post since I just got back to the ship and
it’s a bit on the late side, but I have gotten so used to putting up one
post a day that I feel compelled to give you something.

First off, allow me to apologize to those of you who have been sending me
emails, particularly regarding the web cam. I had no idea they had one,
who set it up, or where it was. I don’t think the cam in question is
affiliated with the school, but I’ll check it out.

Next, I came to the realization that I am pretty much illiterate in
Greece. Not only do I not understand any Greek, but I don’t even know the
alphabet. If only I had joined a fraternity in college…

So today, after returning, I immediately went back into Athens to visit
their National Archeology Museum as well as the Acropolis Museum (I
recommend both if you love rooms and rooms and rooms of either vases or
statues). After that, I went to a bookstore that had some English
language books, but could only locate two English language news
periodicals (Time and the Economist). I also bought two up-to-date
guidebooks to Dublin. My colleagues at the library had forwarded our
guides to Ireland, but I wanted something specifically on that city. We
should be set now.

I must admit, it feels like ages since I was on the ship. My Greek
Holiday was some sort of alternate universe! With that said, being back
has now placed a bit of punctuation on this voyage since I can feel my
part winding down despite the fact that there are yet a couple of weeks
until the handoff to Richard, the next librarian.

I think the cadets are feeling it a bit too. As I came back to the ship
tonight, every phone about the port was swarmed with cadets getting in
their last minute phone calls.

Another change is that I have my own cabin now. Tim has now gone to join
the “State of Maine” and will be returning back on their ship to deploy
more buoys. Although I’ll miss Tim, it is rather nice to have a room to
myself. All he left behind as a box for Richard to mail, and his bottle
of shampoo. I wonder if he though that was mine… we both used head and
shoulders 2 in 1… Maybe I’ll never know.

So, hopefully with the repairs done above my bed, this final portion of
the cruise for me will go pleasantly… but with a little luck there will be
some zany anecdotes about the happenings aboard the ESVI.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Joe

7 comments:

  1. Hope you don't feel pressured by us to write an update every day, but I think you are more valuable to us parents than you think. I get multiple calls when it's possible, but you filling in the blanks between ports is priceless. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love hearing from you whenever you get a chance to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,
    I think it's safe to say we all enjoy your blog and think it's awfully generous of you to pass on messages.
    As far as webcams go, none are affiliated with the school. They're usually set up by travel & security agencies,
    cities, their municipalities and sometimes individuals. We're all just friendly voyagers of voyeurism :-)~
    Strangely it helps us feel connected to the cadets,school, ship and crew by watching.
    Don't forget about the webcam in Dublin at O'Sheas 19 Talbot street ...c u there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The webcams are our only, almost real life, visual to the ship and our kidlings. One of our moms on the chatroom is an absolute wiz at finding them in every port, we all diligently add them to our bookmarks and gaze wistfully at the fuzzy pictures (OK sometimes they are higer resolution) just wishing our kidling would walk accross the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joe!! Thanks again for all your musings! We are really enjoying them. Just wanted to let you know that I spoke to my loving son! He filled me in on the great tour he took of Athens. He apparently decided to use all that money for something besides beers! Halleluliah!
    I'm glad we have given him a phone that works overseas. At least we can call him! Heaven knows he doesnt call us! His butt did call me yesterday but he was too busy yucking it up with his buddies (where ever they were) to speak to me! I don't know how long you will be in Dublin or how close you will be to Trinity College but if you are over that way find Pacinos Restaurant!18 Suffolk Street(just off the corner of Suffolk and Grafton streets)If Trinity is behind you, you will go to the right on Suffolk. Looks like a hole in the wall but the food is amazing. We have been to Dublin many times and it is one of our favorite restaurants! Of course you should look for Temple Bar too (no it's not a bar - it's an area) it's not to far from the Ha'penny bridge If you aren't in the mood for Pacinos (Italian) try the Elephant and Castle in Temple Bar. They are popular and can be crowded(forewarned is forearmed)the food is great especially the wings! Slainte' Up Mayo!! Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Mrs. H: Thank you for the recommendation. I was planning on visiting
    Trinity College on my whirlwind tour so I will certainly plan on eating at
    Pacinos. With a name like that it sounds Italian...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it's Italian - but it has a provincial flair. You will enjoy it...it is actually a favorite haunt of my Aunt and Uncle (they live in Ireland) they travel often and enjoy good food! They introduced me to Pacinos many years ago and I still make a special stop whenever I am in Dublin. We have been stuck at Dublin airport (due to snow in NY)more than once and Scott Cadet -2nd Class Engineering & Heather (his sister)always insist on a bus ride to Dublin & Pacinos! MANGE!! Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete