Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Flat World

6-20-10


As we steam through the Celtic Sea and into the Irish Sea we have met nice, fair weather and a beautiful view of a boundless ocean with no land in sight. It is calm, and everything is flat like a disc.

So today is my last full day at sea and as such one might say I have *not* become sentimental – as the lovely Michelle could tell you, I abhor sentimentality even when I am sentimental. So with that being said, I have composed, in the best spirit of David Letterman, the “Top Twenty Most Memorable Moments of this Cruise.” Ten would be far too few.

20 – Seeing Mallorca for the millionth time and contemplating mutiny so I can go visit.
19 – Deciding what to do about Jane Fonda’s Workout Book
18 – Listening to Johnny Cash while visiting Ronda
17 – Sea Disease, the high seas and battling flying carts that are possessed by poltergeists.
16 – The VHS Tape player drama.
15 – Finding out I was too square to be a mate.
14 – Watching cadets plug leaks
13 – Passing through the Strait of Gibraltar (the first time)
12 – My Undisclosed Location
11 – Having the navigation systems explained to me by a cadet and not understanding a word he was saying.
10 – Seeing cetaceans!
9 – Watching cadets “cliff dive” at Andros
8 – The “Bed Wetting” incident and its aftermath
7 – Smearing my pants on a greasy line the first day aboard.
6 – Compulsively eating French fries and pizza at 11:15 pm every night.
5 – Learning the scale to the sound of needle guns
4 – Setting foot on land at Malaga and then being sent back to get a liberty card.
3 – Learning how to improve my balance by practicing on the heavy bag while at sea.
2 – Seeing the Empire State VI from the Alcazaba in Malaga
1 – Gaining modest notoriety among the cadets and crew as this blog went viral among the fathers and mothers of Maritime College.

Seriously, your comments and interest have made me compulsively post about our trip and I appreciate that immensely. In fact, I am considering continuing this blog as interesting things happen at the college or wherever.

In any event, today I did abbreviated hours since I have not had a day off since we left Greece and I’ve become afflicted with an obsession for Doritos. I think when I get back I might put myself on a cleansing diet (after the lovely Michelle makes me a delicious egg sandwich).

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for some pics and entries on Dublin on the next post.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Joe

7 comments:

  1. I'm the loveliest of them all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,
    Thanks for keeping a window open to the daily workings of the Empire State VI for us over the past 2 months. Your descriptions and insight has made this time go quickly and a peace of mind that all was ok. Keep up the good work and enjoy the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a pleasure reading your blog and I look forward to reading more. Maybe a weekly blog on campus life?
    Don't say I didn't warn about the many Parent followers you'd gain, But wasn't it fun! Better then sitting in the library with your head propped up in the palms of your hands waiting for the next cadet to check out a book. LOL
    Cya at the airport Joe and hopefully Michelle.

    Carole AKA cssreb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure out of habit I will log on to this site on Friday morning.
    To Joe and Michelle ("the woman behind the successful man")thank you so much for the time and effort you put into keeping us parents in touch with our cadets and their daily routine.
    I hope you don't mind if we nominate you to sail along next year!!!!
    Hope you enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! If you happen to be at the airport, tomorrow and see me, please feel free to say hi. I may be tired with jet lag but don't mind me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the many posts and insights. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANKS JOE~!!!! How cool would a weekly blog be???? If you should have the spare time, I would be there every week awaiting it... Safe trip home Joe... See you at JFK.

    ReplyDelete